Latest Articles Appearing On Classic Warbirds..

Point Cook Australian Warbirds, Part 1

cac18 5.jpg

Photos by Les Neistat

During a recent “Interactive Day” at the Royal Australian Air Force’s Museum at Point Cook, Les Neistat got the chance to see a trio of historic World War II aircraft in action.  Judy Pay’s CAC-18 Mustang (flown by Peter Clements), Alan Arthur’s Kittyhawk IV, and Gary Herne’s Tiger Moth were shown off.

RAAF Base Williams is located at Point Cook, about a half hour’s drive from West Melbourne, Victoria. The land and base are rich in history, as it became the RAAF’s first flying facility.  The land was purchased in 1912, but after the First World War ended it became the fledgling Australian Flying Corps’ first home, and has been in service in many capacities ever since. Today the RAAF’s national museum is housed here, containing many treasures from conflicts and peacetime. The runways are still open, although no active duty flying units are based there.

Gary Herne’s DH-82A Tiger Moth was once based at Point Cook during the late 1940s, used by the RAAF as a primary flight trainer .  The current color scheme is as the aircraft actually looked during that time period, including it’s authentic serial number. Alan Arthur’s Curtiss fighter is a Kittyhawk IV, originally used as a trainer in New Zealand. The Mustang is a Mk.21 version, which is a P-51D that was produced in Australia under license.

Warbirds at the NAS Oceana Air Show, September 2015

a4 5.jpg

The Photography of Bob Finch The 2015 edition of the NAS Oceana Air Show presented some noteworthy warbirds, as seen here on this web page.  Others not pictured here but who presented aerial demonstrations during the show included the Warrior Flight Team’s pair of L-39 Albatrosses, the GEICO Skytypers SNJ-2s, and Bill Leff in his T-6 Texan.

fg1d outside

A trio of heavy metal singles – a TBM-3E Avenger, an AD-4 Skyraider, and this FG-1D Corsair, from the Military Aviation Museum’s  stable, were based just down the street.

fm2 2

Greg Shelton’s flew his FM-2 Wildcat, and the Warbird Heritage Foundation’s A-4B Skyhawk was flown by Paul Wood too. There were more warbirds parked on static display, including a Beech C18S/C-45 transport.

Dietmar and the Dove

16 810_3578_D-INKA_20150809.jpg

Air to air photography and article by Dietmar Schreiber During the Second World War, De Havilland was primarily known for the production of over 7700 Mosquitos. In 1943 De Havilland started to develop a successor for the DH89 Dragon Rapide, of which it had produced nearly 800 examples from 1932. The DH104 Dove had its first flight in September, 1945, only 6 weeks after Japan surrendered. The first aircraft was delivered to Canada in May, 1946 after a short development and test period. In a world that was still affected by the aftermath of World War II, air travel was limited to a small group of individuals. The Dove was designed for eight passengers, which helped it find a niche in the airliner market of that time. Production of the Dove continued for 22 years, and when it ended, De Havilland had produced 542 civil and military examples. The biggest Dove operator was the Argentinean Government, which ordered 70 aircraft in two batches for its various governmental departments. It was unusual for a British aircraft to have its largest customer outside the United Kingdom. The Royal Air Force was the biggest British operator with 40 examples in different versions; its last Dove was retired in 1984.

6 810_3251_D-INKA_20150809_SW

Today there are more than 100 Dove airframes existing in various conditions. Ten are reported to be more or less operational. One of the more active examples is operated by TFC “Flugbetrieb und -technik Beratungsgesellschaft mbH” from its home base of Essen-Mühlheim in Germany. The aircraft is registered as D-INKA and flies under the LTU Classic brand. The original D-INKA was operated by the German charter airline LTU, mostly for the Shell Oil Company from 1957 to 1958. That original aircraft with the serial number 04011 was written off in an accident in France in 1959. The current D-INKA with the serial number 04266 was originally delivered to the Royal Air Force, marked as WB531. After some owner and registration changes it ended up in a container on the Dutch airfield of Lelystad. In 2004 it was discovered and bought for restoration by Air Incentive Classics. Today, D-INKA meets all safety standards and the aircraft can be seen on regular sightseeing flights all over Germany. During the yearly Dornier Museum Friedrichshafen event “Do days” we had the chance for two great photo missions with D-INKA.

The 2015 Thunder Over Michigan Air Show

pb4y 3.jpg

Photography by Frank Ertl Ypsilanti, Michigan has a great yearly warbird air show, known as Thunder Over Michigan.  The 2015 version didn’t disappoint.  One of the best parts of this show happens behind the scenes, and offers four chances to get different and uncluttered photos of your favorite warbirds.  These special photo passes, which afford great vantage points from the Photo Pit and along a taxiway on Friday, and/or early access to the static ramps on the weekend mornings before the gates open to the general public, give you different air show venues to choose from. There are a limited amount of these, and sell out quickly each year. However, you don’t need any special passes to see and photograph the awesome collection of warbirds that attend.

b25d 2.jpg

The airport that hosts this show is itself a special place.  Ypsilanti’s Willow Run Airport was built up by the Ford Motor Company to contain its B-24 Liberator plant during World War II, and is now home to the Yankee Air Museum.  One of the Museum’s planes, an early version of the B-25 Mitchell bomber, is a standout, and contributor Frank Ertl found some information about this “Yankee Warrior”, a B-25D.  Originally, s/n 43-3634 was delivered on December 8 1943 at Kansas City, Kansas.  Known as “Ellen E. & Son”, it served with the 12th Air Force’s 57th Bomb Wing. Assigned to the 340th Bomb Group, 489th Bomb Squadron, it was stationed at Alesan Air Base on the island of Corsica where it took part in at least 7 combat missions. It flew with nose art of a French Joker playing card, along with the name “Ellen E.& Son”, which was Captain Charles Barnett’s mother’s name. The Yankee Air Museum purchased 43-3634 October 18, 1988 and it is now flown as “Yankee Warrior”.

Here is a collection of Frank Ertl’s photos from this year’s event, showcasing the scope of this great gathering of warbirds.